|Entertainment Magazine: Arizona: Oracle
There are several legends how the area acquired the name Old Hat. Traditionally, miners left their hats at the entrance of tunnels to alert others that someone was inside.
According to one tradition, an abandoned old hat was found on the property while it was first being prospected; thus it acquired the name.
A different story told of “tar heels” from North Carolina who settled in this area to prospect and farm. They all wore large broad-brimmed white hats that eventually became very old and “flopped.”
Thus their neighborhood was called the old hat settlement. Later, the mining district became known as Old Hat.” 
 “Nomenclature of Mines,” Bisbee Daily Review, November 18, 1903, page 6.
Also see Mrs. Lalie C. Dodge, Letter to Dr. Frank Lockwood of Tucson, San Francisco, California, Sep. 23, 1919; Arizona Blade and the Florence Tribune, Florence, Arizona, Nov. 14, 1903.
Buy "Treasures of the Santa Catalina Mountains"
In Print at Amazon: Treasures of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Email author and publisher: [email protected]
All rights are reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilized in any means, electronic or mechanical, without written permission from the publisher.
Permission is granted to use quotes and cite references to the contents in this book with proper credit noted: “Treasures of the Santa Catalina Mountains,” © 2015 Robert E. Zucker.”