- This event has passed.
Ballet Tucson Season
Sunday, December 9, 2018 @ 8:00 am - Sunday, March 10, 2019 @ 5:00 pm MST
For the Opening Night Gala/Season Opener, Founding Artistic Director Mary Beth Cabana has selected an exciting triple bill of works:
• Spirit Garden – Ballet Tucson’s unique commemoration of the tradition of Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with choreography and concept by Chieko Imada and Mary Beth Cabana. Renowned artist Lawrence W. Lee, the music of Tucson’s own internationally celebrated troubadours Calexico, and the company’s artistic team collaborate on this highly acclaimed original work.
• Boler-O – Pulsing, energetic rendition of Maurice Ravel’s iconic masterpiece with visually compelling images and fresh choreography by Daniel Precup.
• I’ll See You in My Dreams (premiere) – A tribute in dance to the Great American Songbook featuring famous tunes from the 20’s & 30’s – performed with live music to new choreography by former Ballet Tucson resident choreographer Mark Schneider.
FOOTPRINTS AT THE FOX
Footprints at The Fox (New Works Concert) returns this year in partnership with the Fox Tucson Theatre Foundation.
Kick start the festive season with Ballet Tucson’s award-winning holiday classic The Nutcracker. Join Clara on her magical journey through the Land of Snow and the Kingdom of the Sweets with swirling snowflakes and dancing confections to make memories that will last a ￼lifetime. ￼￼Come cheer on the next generation of dance makers at the historic Fox
￼￼Theatre with engaging new works created by our professional company of dancers. Innovative,
entertaining, moving and suitable for the entire family!
December 7 – 9
Ballet Tucson’s beloved production is the most elaborate in all of Southern Arizona, and performances will be presented on the grand stage of the Tucson Music ￼￼￼Hall. ￼Ballet Tucson continues its partnership with the Tucson Desert Song Festival to present Viva ￼￼Piazzolla! The emotionally charged life of legendary composer and nuevo tango godfather, Astor Piazzolla, is portrayed through live music and dance. Ballet Tucson leads a stellar cast in ￼￼this full-evening theatrical experience. Viva Piazzolla! promises to be a feast for the senses filled with visual drama, lush movement, and passionate live music and song – presented in
collaboration with Tucson Guitar Society and The Rogue Theatre.
￼SPRING CONCERT (DANCE & DESSERT 2019)
• La Dame aux Camélias (premiere) – Alexandre Dumas’ 1848 novel is brought to life with original choreography by Daniel Precup and the music of Frédéric Chopin. La Dame aux Camélias is La Traviata in a not to be missed, gripping dance drama!
• Donizetti Variations (Ballet Tucson premiere) – Donizetti Variations sets a series of effervescent dances to the music from the opera Don Sebastian. Ballet Tucson is proud to present its 3rd work by the immortal genius George Balanchine, the father of modern ballet.
Other entertaining selections (TBD) from Ballet Tucson’s repertoire will be presented. Gourmet dessert tastings will be served at the conclusion of each performance.
PERFORMANCE DATES/TIMES Opening Night Gala/Fall Concert
Footprints at the Fox
Fox Tucson Theatre
Sunday, November 11 – 1:00 pm Tickets on sale October 1
PCC Center for the Arts
￼￼Opening Night Gala – Friday, October 12 at 6:30 pm (performance at 8:00 pm)
￼Saturday, October 13 – 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
Sunday, October 14 – 1:00 pm
￼￼Tickets on sale September 1
Tucson Music Hall
Friday, December 7 – 7:30 pm
Saturday, December 8 – 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm Sunday, December 9 ￼ 1:00 pm
Tickets on sale September 5
Friday, February 1 ￼ :30 pm Saturday, February 2 – 2:00 pm Sunday, February 3 ￼ ￼ 1:00 pm Tickets on sale December 1
Spring Concert (Dance & Dessert 2019)
Friday, March 8 ￼ ￼ 7:30 pm
Saturday, March 9 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm Sunday, March 10 ￼ ￼ 1:00 pm
Tickets on sale January 2
ABOUT BALLET TUCSON
Now in its 33rd season and 15th year as the only professional dance company in Tucson and Southern Arizona, Ballet Tucson presents the highest quality dance productions with a full range of historic classics and contemporary works.
The company has been hailed as “a treasure in our community” by the Arizona Daily Star. Chuck Graham (Tucson arts writer) exclaims that the company “proudly maintains its place as the keeper of the flame of classical ballet in the Old Pueblo.”
Post Free Events: Include your event description, location, dates and times and contact information. Email to [email protected].
Arizona | California | Nevada | New Mexico | New York | Phoenix | Tombstone | Tucson | Tucson Gem Shows | Mt. Lemmon/Summerhaven